JINHONG XIE (谢劲红)
(Innovation management and strategies, network effects, service pricing, independent product information and marketing strategy, national culture effect on new product management)
Professor Xie teaches MBA and EMBA Program.
She has taught managerial statistics, pricing policy, marketing research,
marketing strategy, and international marketing. Her current research
interests are network effects and standards competition, emerging technology
and service strategy, independent product information (third-party product
review and consumer review), national culture and new product
development/management. She previously served as an assistant professor at
the Simon Graduate School of Business,
1. Decomposing Pioneer Survival: Implications for the Order-of-Entry Effect, forthcoming at Journal of Product Innovation Management (with Qi Wang).
2. Group-Buying: A New Mechanism for Selling through Social Interactions, 2012, Management Science, Vol. 57, No.8, pp. 1354-1372, [Lead Article] (with Xiaoqing Jing).
3. Performance-based Advertising: Price as Signals of Product Quality, 2012, Information Systems Research, Vol.23, No.3,September, pp. 2010-1041 (with Juan Feng).
4. Will Consumers Be Willing to Pay More When Your Competitors Adopt Your Technology? The Impacts of the Supporting-Firm Base in Markets with Network Effects, 2011, Journal of Marketing Vol. 75, No. 5, pp. 1-17[Lead Article] (with Qi Wang).
5. Online Social Interactions: A Natural Experiment on Word of Mouth Versus Observational Learning, 2011, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 238-254 (with Yubo Chen and Qi Wang).
6. Effects of Social and Temporal Distance on Consumers Responses to Peer Recommendations, 2011, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 486-496 (with Min Zhao).
7. The Economics of Buyer Uncertainty: Advance Selling vs. Probabilistic Selling, 2010, Marketing Science Vol. 27, No 4 (Summer) 674-690 (with Scott Fay).
8. "Survival in Markets with Network Effects: Product Compatibility and Order-of-Entry Effects," 2010, Journal of Marketing , Vol. 74, No. 4. 1-14 [Lead Article] (with Qi Wang and Yubo Chen).
9. Component-Based Technology Transfer in the Presence of Potential Imitators, 2010, Management Science , Vol. 56, No. 3, pp. 536552 (with Sun, Jiong, Sunder Kekre, and Laurens Debo).
10. Probabilistic Goods: A Creative Way of Selling Products and Services, 2008, Marketing Science, Vol. 27, No 4 (Summer) 674-690 (with Scott Fay).
11. Vol. 54, No. 3 (March) 477-490 (with Yubo Chen).Management Science
12. Service Escape: Profiting From Customer Cancellations,2007, Marketing Science, Vol. 26 (Spring) 18-30 [Lead Article] (with Eitan Gerstner).
13. Cross-market Network Effect with Asymmetric Customer Loyalty: Implications on Competitive Advantage, 2007, Marketing Science, Vol. 26 (Spring) 52-66 (with Yuxin Chen).
14. "Standard Competition and the Effectiveness of Advertising Formats in New Product Introduction," 2006, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 43 (2), 224-236 (with Amitav Chakravarti).
15. "Third-Party Product Review and Firm Marketing Strategy," 2005, Marketing Science, Vol. 24, No. 2 (Spring), 218-240 (with Yubo Chen).
18. Product Strategy for Innovators in Markets with Network Effects," 2004, Marketing Science, Vol. 23 (Spring) , 243-254 (with B. Sun and H. Cao).
20. Antecedents and Consequences of Goal Incongruity in New Product Development in Five Countries: A Marketing View, 2003, Journal of Product Innovation Management, (20), 233-250 (with M. Song, and A. Stringfellow).
21. "Electronic Tickets, Smart Cards, and Online Prepayments: When and How to Advance Sell," 2001, Marketing Science, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2-9-243 [Lead Article, 2001, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award] (with S. Shugan).
22. "Advance Pricing of Services and Other Implications of Separating Purchase and Consumption," 2000, Journal of Service Research, 2 (February), 227-239 (with S. Shugan).
23. "Antecedents and Consequences of Marketing Managers' Conflict Handling Behaviors," 2000, Journal of Marketing, 64 (January), 50-66 (with M. Song and B. Dyer).
24. "Does Product Innovativeness Moderate the Relationship between Cross-Functional Integration and New Product Performance in Japanese and U.S. Firms?" 2000, Journal of International Marketing, Vol. 8, No. 4, 61-89 (with M. Song).
25. Information Attributes, Market Uncertainty, and Cross-Functional Information Processing: Hypotheses and Empirical Evidence from the U.S. and Japan, 2000, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 8, No. 4, 61-89 (with M. Song and A.Di Benedetto).
26. Interfunctional Conflict, Conflict Resolution Styles, and New Product Success: A Four-Culture Comparison," Management Science, 1998, 44 (December), S192-S206 (with M. Song and A. Stringfellow).
27. "The Impact of Cross-Functional Joint Involvement Across Product Development Stages: An Exploratory Study," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 1998, 15, 289-303 (with M. Song and R. Thieme).
28. "Kalman Filter Estimation of New Product Diffusion Models," Journal of Marketing Research, 1997, 34 (August), 378-394 (with M. Song, M. Sirbu, Q. Wang).
29. "Price Competition and Compatibility in the Presence of Positive Demand Externalities," Management Science, 1995, 14 (May), 909-927 (with M. Sirbu).
Honors and Awards: